The 2012 London Olympics Mini MINI "Go-Fer" Electric R/C Car
|2012 London Olympic Games Mini MINI R/C Car|
For those who don’t know, BMW is the Official Automotive Partner to the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics. So far BMW has provided 160 BMW 1 Series ActiveE and 40 MINI E electric cars for various shuttling duties. Ferrying athletes and officials is all well and good, but who is going to deliver the javelins, discuses, hammers, shot-puts, etc. after being thrown all over the field. Well, MINI has an answer to that too. Enter the Mini MINI.
The Mini MINI is, according to BMW, is a “specially developed and designed radio controlled electric car” that will carry up to an 8kg load in the form of one hammer, discus, shot-put or two javelins accessible through the sunroof throughout the field of play saving time during the competition. The fleet of three all-electric 10hp Mini MINIs can run for 35 minutes of continuous use between charges and can be fully recharged in 80 minutes. Oh yeah, and they have dual vented disk brakes and grass tires. Sooooo cool.
The three Mini MINIs, operated by specially trained Olympic Games Makers, are about twenty-five percent the size of the full-size MINIs and are painted blue with the same Games livery as the…er…big MINIs. These are easily the coolest vehicles involved in the 2012 London Olympic Games. Leave it to MINI to come up with an R/C car to ferry field equipment to and from the field of play. They’re just fun. I really want one. MINI has been a little model-happy lately. Who knows, maybe we’ll see the 2013 Mini MINI at a dealer near you.
The Tech Specs of the 2012 London Olympic Games Mini MINI:
- Number in fleet: 3
- 10hp / Zero emissions
- Usage: Field of play vehicle to retrieve javelins, discuses, hammers and shot from the field to the throwing area.
- Specification of Mini MINI:
MINI Hatch design in 1/4 scale
- Lightweight composite bodyshell (Vehicle weight 25kg)
- True Blue paintwork with orange London 2012 Games livery and white roof
- Detailed exterior design including door handles, mirrors, wheel arch finishers, number plates, windscreen wipers and functioning headlights
- Removable sunroof panel for access to the equipment storage area
- Waterproof equipment storage area
- Electric engine, throttled
- Duel vented disc brake
- Heavy duty shock absorbers
- Grass tyres front and rear
- Mini MINI dimensions: Length: 1100mm
- Width: 500mm Height: 400mm