Subaru BRZ tS: Basically It’s a Subaru BRZ STI and It’s Only Available in Japan…
And, that makes me very sad. There’s no additional power added to the BRZ’s spunky 200 horse flat-4 powerplant, and that makes me less sad. No power boost? So what’s the point? Handling, Baby! The Subaru BRZ tS GT gets bigger brakes, super-sticky Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, an STI-developed suspension and a whole lot of STI styling bits inside and out.
End result… a Subaru BRZ that can take absolute full advantage of all 200 horses in the twisty bits between straightaways. And, that, my friends, it fun.
In creating the BRZ tS (which I can only imagine is a way-point between the base BRZ and the hopeful future all-out BRZ STI) Subaru bolted on huge 17-inch, four-pot Brembo ventilated disc brakes up front and 17-inch, two-potters in the rear, not dissimilar from those bringing the Subaru Impreze WRX STI to a halt.
An STI-designed rear suspension, front struts, rear damper, front/rear coil springs, front strut tower bar and draw stiffener and a tuned Vehicle Dynamics Control ensure that those big brakes can be used later and later in the turns as the BRZ tS will handle like the dickens.
With a giant two-position adjustable spoiler, STI badging and embroidery everywhere, a racier interior (complete with seriously bolstered Recaro seats) and exclusive wheels, there is no confusing a Subaru BRZ with a run-of-the-mill BRZ. Too bad we won’t get any in the States. But, Subaru, if you’re reading this, you better bring a Subaru BRZ STI to the US, or we’re gonna have a problem…
Check out the full scoop on the Subaru BRZ tS in the tech specs and press release below. The photo gallery is for the exclusive use of lamenting what you can never have as a driver not living in Japan.
- 225/40ZR18 tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport)
- STI designed 18-inch x 7 1/2J aluminum wheels (silver)
- Brembo front 17-inch opposed 4-pot ventilated disc brake with “STI” logo
- Brembo rear 17-inch opposed 2-pot ventilated disc brake with “STI” logo
- STI designed rear suspension link with pillow ball bush (trailing link front, lateral link front inside & rear inside)
- STI tuned strut and STI coil springs for front suspension
- STI tuned damper and STI coil springs for rear suspension
- STI designed flexible tower bar, front
- STI designed flexible draw stiffener, front
- STI designed large-diameter driveshaft
- Exclusively-tuned VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control)
- Exclusively-tuned filter for Sound Creator
- STI designed front under spoiler
- STI designed front fender garnish with “STI” logo
- Exclusively-made “STI” ornament (front & rear), “tS” ornament (rear)
- Exclusively-made front seat with “STI” logo and red stitch
- Exclusively-made leather lapped steering wheel (with “STI” ornament and red stitch)
- STI designed leather shift knob (manual transmission) / select lever (automatic transmission) with “STI” logo
- Exclusively-made speedometer with “STI” logo
- Exclusively-made speedometer visor Carbon tone instrument panel
- STI designed push engine switch with “STI” logo (red)
- Exclusively-made aluminum side sill plate with “tS” logo
- STI designed leather access key cover (red)
Equipments for GT PACKAGE
- STI designed 18-inch x 7 1/2J aluminum wheels (black)
- STI designed dry carbon rear spoiler (2 angle adjustable)
- Recaro designed front bucket seat
STI RELEASES “SUBARU BRZ tS” IN JAPAN
Tokyo, August 19, 2013 – Subaru Tecnica International Inc (STI) today announced the release of the “SUBARU BRZ tS” which goes on sale on August 19 through Subaru dealerships in Japan.
Exclusive tuning such as the adoption of a large-diameter driveshaft and STI’s unique flexible parts embodies superior handling performance. Driving performance has also been enhanced by the adoption of “brembo” ventilated disc brakes, 18-inch aluminum wheels and a STI designed front under spoiler. The model comes with special features including the “STI” / “tS” ornaments and exclusively-made fender garnish on the exterior as well as a speedometer with an STI logo inside, which evoke driving excitement and pleasure of ownership.
In addition, “GT PACKAGE” model which is suitable for motorsports enthusiasts is released. The model features a STI designed dry carbon rear spoiler, black colored “BBS” designed 18-inch aluminum wheels and “Recaro” designed front bucket seat.