Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M SKYFALL Limited Edition: Understated, Infinitely Usable, All Bond
Dum-Dum-Dee-Dum-Duuumm-DumDum. Mr. Bond is back for the 23rd time in the new movie SKYFALL, which, coincidentally, also coincides with the 50th anniversary of the world’s favorite secret agent. (Although, I’ve always preferred Agent 86, Maxwell Smart.) Mr. Daniel Wroughton Craig will be portraying James Bond, Agent 007, and he will be sporting an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean.
In honor of their supporting role as Bond’s timepiece of choice for the seventh time, Omega has created the Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M SKYFALL Limited Edition watch. Like every Seamaster, the Planet Ocean SKYFALL is every bit the dive watch, able to withstand the rigors of life on the wrist of a secret agent with a helium escape valve at the ten o’clock position, a unidirectional rotating bezel and 600 meter water resistance.
The 42 mm stainless steel case sports a matte black ceramic inset bezel with chromium nitride diving scale. The Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M SKYFALL Limited Edition houses Omega’s exclusive automatic calibre 8507 Co-Axial Chronometer movement with date which will run for 60 hours between winds. Sixty hours, that is, if you don’t spin the “SKYFALL 007” emblazoned rotor, which is visible through the caseback’s sapphire crystal.
Other than his license to kill, Agent James Bond is known for two things, Bond Girls and Bond Cars. Since using the key elements of Bond Girls to pattern the dial wouldn’t be quite appropriate, Omega has styled the Planet Ocean SKYFALL’s matte black dial to resemble the grill of an Aston Martin.
Mounted at the seven o’clock position is the “007” logo, ensuring no confusion as to the lineage of this watch. The remaining indices and rhodium-plated hour & minute hands are slathered with white (glowing blue) Super-LumiNova. The second hand and a small dot at the top of the bezel glow green.
As James Bond’s Omega’s are purpose built for his specific needs, the Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M SKYFALL Limited Edition watch is limited to an edition of 5,007 pieces and comes in a special display box.
Over the years, I’ve been hot and cold on Omega watches. Lately, I’ve really been impressed with the direction Omega has been heading. The Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M SKYFALL Limited Edition is no exception. This watch is seriously cool. It’s simple, understated and infinitely usable, in addition to undeniably Bond. For more information, visit Omega here.
- Limited edition to 5,007 Pieces
- Features: Chronometer, Date, Helium Escape Valve, Screw-in Crown, Transparent Case Back, Unidirectional Rotating Bezel
- Movement: Omega 8507 Self-winding movement with Co-Axial escapement for greater precision, stability and durability. Silicon balance-spring on free sprung-balance, 2 barrels mounted in series, automatic winding in both directions to reduce winding time. Rhodium-plated balance bridge and oscillating mass, luxury finish with exclusive Geneva waves in arabesque; black varnished “SKYFALL 007” engraved on rotor.
- Power reserve: 60 hours
- Crystal Domed: scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- Case: Steel
- Dial: Black
- Water resistance: 600 m (2000 feet)
- Size Case Diameter: 42 mm
- Reference: 188.8.131.52.01.004
Photo Credit: Omega Watches