Introducing the HAUTLENCE Avant-Garde HLRQ 01
Whenever I see a watch like the HAUTLENCe Avant-Garde HLRQ 01, I realize just how big the watch world is and how many more I really, really want. Hard to pronounce, but easy to look at, the HAUTLENCE Avant-Garde HLRQ 01 is one of those watches that make you fall in love with watchmaking all over again.
In the same vein as brands like Urwerk, MB&F and Hyt, Hautlence was founded in 2004 to create “original concepts in reading time”. If you’re curious as what exactly “Hautlence” means, it’s an anagram of the Swiss city (and watchmaking’s home turf) Neuchâtel… minus the circumflex over the “a”, of course. According to their website, Hautlence “adopts a think tank approach and brings a new vision to the art of watchmaking, while respecting its traditions”. And, looking at the Avant-Garde HLRQ 01, they’re not kidding around.
The HAUTLENCE Avant-Garde HLRQ 01 is the third iteration of the Avant-Garde HLRQ line. Yep, you guessed it, the other two are the HLRQ 02 and HLRQ 03. While the 02 and 03 have cases of stainless steel and grade two titanium, HAUTLENCE stepped up the game with the 01, forging the multi-metal case out of black DLC-coated titanium and 18-carat 4N rose gold.
The bezel, pushers and lugs rose gold and the case back and case-band are in black DLC-coated titanium. There’s something about the contrast between DLC-coated titanium and rose gold that is just pretty, and it’s significantly lighter than an all-gold watch. The Avant-Garde HLRQ 01 (and 02 and 03) 44 mm round case is a nice departure from their usual rectangular cases, too.
If your on TickTickVroom.com, you might realize that I’m something of a car nut in addition to my proclivity for fine (or just plain cool) timepieces. So a mult-tiered dial with a retrograde minute indicator that hearkens to a speedometer is very pleasing. I’m also a sucker for a jump-hour. Guess what… the HAUTLENCE Avant-Garde HLRQ 01 has both. And, unlike some skeletonized watches (Audemars Piguet Openworked Minute Repeater with Jumping Hour, I’m looking in your direction), the HLRQ is rather easy to read, even the date.
The movement powering the HAUTLENCE Avant-Garde HLRQ 01 is quite nice looking, which is good since it is on very clear display through the display dial and through the display back. You get good look at much of the 32 jewel manual-wind movement’s 255 parts. (Don’t worry, there’s a 4o hour power-reserve.) HAUTLENCE put some effort into the hand-finishing of the Avant-Garde’s HLRQ 01’s movment.
The plates are finished with a beautiful Côtes de Genève and hand applied chamfering on the bridges. The overall effect is that of a powerful, well-built and stunning movement, exactly what someone would expect from a $43,000 watch.
So, yeah, as I said, the HAUTLENCE Avant-Garde HLRQ01 sells for $43,000. Not cheap, but a very good alternative to some of the other watches in that price range. For more info, check out the tech specs and release below. For even more info, visit HAUTLENCE.com.
- Jumping hours
- Retrograde minutes
- Fast date corrector
- Manual-winding mechanical movement
- Jumping hours
- Retrograde minutes
- Jumping hours
- Retrograde minutes with connecting rod system
- Number of components : 255
- Power reserve : 40 hours
- Regulating organ : 21,600 vibrations/hour
- Number of jewels : 32
- Finishing : hand-chamfered bridges with Côtes de Genève
- Identification and numbering plate : HLRQ 01 – 0000
- Case middle and back : black DLC-coated titanium, circular fine-brushed;
- Bezel, horns and push-button : 18-carat 4N pink gold;
- Crown : polished 18-carat 4N pink gold with engraved HAUTLENCE logo;
- Glass : sapphire crystal with extra-hard anti-reflective treatment;
- Back : black DLC-finish grade 2 titanium, 4 screws, sapphire crystal, tamp-printed “HAUTLENCE” and “Horlogerie Suisse” inscriptions
- Dimensions : Ø 44 mm x 12.5 mm
- Upper sapphire dial face : with fixed logo and metallized HAUTLENCE inscription. Transferred polished 5N red gold metallized, white superluminova-enhanced hours, minutes and index numerals
- Lower sapphire dial face : 5N red gold metallization and semi-opaque black area and black DLC-finish area
- Hours disc : transparent mineral glass with shiny 5N red gold metalized hours aperture, semi-opaque black zone and white superluminova indexes
- Minutes hands : 5N red gold and white superluminova tip
- Connecting rods : hand-chamfered and linear fine-brushed
- Strap : black hand-sewn rolled-edge genuine Louisiana alligator leather, large square scales, interchangeability spring bar
- Folding clasp or pin buckle : grade 2 titanium base and polished 18-carat 5N red gold plate
- 30 meters
Hautlence Avant-Garde HLRQ01 Press Release
HAUTLENCE unveils the majestic HLRQ 01 and celebrates the commercial launch of the HLRQ line
Athletic and powerful, the HLRQ blends something of its predecessors, classicism with the sophisticated, sleek nature of the AVANT-GARDE watch family to which it is the latest addition. It is distinguished by an ultra-contemporary aesthetic giving it a much more lifestyle-oriented look. For its 4th participation in the SIAR (Salón Internacional de Alta Relojería held in Mexico from October 1st to 3rd), HAUTLENCE is introducing the third model in the HLRQ line, the majestic HLRQ 01. This powerful watch with its imposing 44 mm case band, made in circular satin-brushed black DLC-finish grade 2 titanium and featuring 18-carat pink gold horns, bezel, crown and push-button, is truly fascinating.
Its in-house designed sapphire dial lends a sense of depth and transparency, while providing an admirable view of the manual-winding mechanical movement with its jumping hours and retrograde minutes (thanks to the famous HAUTLENCE connecting rod system) as well as its date display. The impression of weightlessness is accentuated by the superimposed discs arranged on several layers. Created in the HAUTLENCE Atelier d’Horlogerie Contemporaine, the HLRQ line is issued in non-limited series characterised by the same degree of excellence displayed through finely executed Côtes de Genève and hand-bevelled finishes.