Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore LeBron James Limited Edition: A Watch for King James [Video]
Audemars Piguet loves their celebrity athlete sposkespeople. Two of the most recent AP Ambassadors to get their own Audemars Piguets, Michael Schumacher and Leo Messi, are giants in their respective fields of Formula One racing and soccer (or football to our European readers).
So it’s about time that Audemars Piguet Brand Ambassador and Miami Heat star forward LeBron James gets his own limited edition AP. Hell, the crazy party at Miami Beach’s SOHO Beach House to celebrate LeBron and AP’s union was over two years ago on April 9th, 2011. Last night’s soirée at 1111 Lincoln Road in the heart of South Beach where LeBron James and Audemars Piguet CEO Francois Henry Bennahmias unveiled the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore LeBron James limited edition was a long time coming. (Man, that’s a mouthful.)
While AP was designing the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore LeBron James limited edition chronograph, King James himself worked with watchmakers to ensure his watch truly matched his style. The result is an absolutely massive rose gold, titanium and ceramic beast, of which only 600 examples will be produced.
The devil, as they say, is in the details. So, here are the details. The theme of the APROO LeBron James is gray and pink, starting with its rose gold case and continuing to its gray croc strap with rose gold buckle. LeBron James is a big dude. He’s 6’8″. So, one could imagine that his watch would be something on the massive side. Add in the crown and pushers to the 44 mm rose gold case and you get a watch just shy of two inches in diameter. Like I said, massive. Somehow, it looks even bigger with the brushed titanium bezel and black ceramic pushers and crown (which are actually more of a gray).
Speaking of pushers (whose housings are rose gold with gray rubber accents), the top pusher is embellished with 14 diamonds in two rows. Some people I’ve spoken to really like the diamonds. Personally, I think they’re kind of tacky. But, tacky or not, knowing Audemars Piguet, you can rest assured that they are flawless (and I mean D / IF) diamonds. The theme of gray and pink is carried through to the Mega Tapisserie dial which is actually kind of a grayish-pink. Rose gold hands and Arabic numerals and silver-tone sub-registers give the dial depth, and a blue second-hand offers some much-needed contrast.
The back of the watch has a sapphire caseback with LeBron’s autograph printed in blue. Peeking out from under King James’ John Hancock is AP’s automatic 59 jewel Calibre 3126/3840 chronograph movement complete with an AP logo-emblazoned 22 karat anthracite galvanized winding rotor (always with the gray and pink).
Like I said, Audmars Piguet is producing a scant 600 Royal Oak Offshore LeBron James examples. Despite a price tag of $51,500, you can expect each and every one of them to wind up (pun intended) in someone’s collection. For the full technical specs, see below. And, there’s an AP – LeBron James video below that.
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore LeBron James
- Functions: Chronograph, Hours, Minutes, Small Seconds, Date
- Movement thickness with module: 7.00 mm
- Total diameter: 29.92 mm
- Total diameter: 13¼ lines
- Type of balance: With Variable inertia blocks
- Frequency of balance wheel: 3,00 Hz (21’600 alternances/hour)
- Type of balance-spring stud-holder: Screwed mobile stud
- Balance-spring type: Flat
- Direction of automatic winding: Bidirectional
- Type of oscillating weight: Monobloc in 22-carat gold
- Number of jewels: 59
- Power reserve: 55 h
- Number of parts: 365
- 18-carat rose gold case
- Glareproofed sapphire crystal and caseback
- Caseback engraved with the legend “Royal Oak Offshore Limited Edition Lebron James”
- LeBron James signature printed in blue on the sapphire crystal
- Titanium bezel
- Black ceramic crown
- Black ceramic pushpieces
- Diamond-set pushpiece at 2 o’clock
- Rose gold and grey rubber pushpiece guards
- Water-resistant to 100 m.
- Méga Tapisserie
- Sub-registers at the 12, 6 and 9 o’clock positions
- Hand-stitched “large square scale” grey crocodile strap
- 18-carat pink gold pin buckle
- Grey rubber additional strap.
- Stop balance when setting time
- Cam chronograph mechanism
- Oscillating weight with ceramic ball bearings
- Bevels of the bridges are diamond graved
- Inverted snailing on bridges
- Date / Date in Dial aperture
- Chronograph / Seconds counter / Minutes counter / Hour counter